Sunday, May 27, 2012

Waiting...not my strong point


Last Monday was the Embryo Transfer-followed by a few days of bed rest.  Before the procedure we got a phone from the Embryologist who informed us how many of the 8 fertilized eggs had made it to Day 5.  We were so surprised and relieved when she said that we had 6 that looked pretty good!  We both started crying not realizing the unspoken anxiety we were feeling and how relieved we were that we had at least 2 good embryos, let alone 6.  It was an exciting and nervous time.
 
6 embryos!
So, My instructions before we came in were to empty my bladder before we drove in and then drink 32 ounces of water by the time we got there...i cheated and only drank about 26 :) But I could already feel that my bladder was getting full even before our 20 minute drive was finished...yikes.  So we got there and had to wait...now, 35 minutes with a full bladder.  Our fabulous acupuncturist, Dr. Lu, met us as we got called to go back to get prepped!  I dressed down and had a acupuncture treatment-we've learned that having a treatment before and after the procedure helps to increase blood flow and prepare my "wombie" as I've termed it.  Dr. Lu put the needles in and said, "now, try and relax.." 
Can you see the needles in my feet, legs and lower back?


However, we were now  about 50 minutes with a full bladder.  After the first 20 minute treatment, the nurse came in and informed us they were running 15 minutes behind...oh no...I felt my eye lids filling up with urine as the cartoons do when they really have to go.  I'm emphasizing the full bladder thing, because it was the worst part about the procedure.  The doctor came in and was going over what would happen for the ten minute transfer procedure- and mid sentence i cut him off and blurted out, " When do i get to empty my bladder?"  He was taken back a little and decided to check out my bladder via ultra sound...He agreed and said it was really FULL.  With that news, he allowed the nurse to allow me to empty my bladder partially.  She came back and handed me a 12 ounce dixie cup and said you could fill the cup up, but then cut it off.  You would have thought it was Christmas by my reaction- I clarified with a smile on my face, " I get to fill the WHOLE cup up?"  The Nurse just looked a little perplexed and said yeah, the whole cup.  woo hoo!  I did as I was told, but it wasn't easy let me tell ya.
 
Anywho, I felt like I could breathe again and I was in much better spirits :) 
As I let the bathroom, I went straightway into the surgery room.  I was awake for this procedure, though I was given a Valum to help relax me-which didn't take effect till i got home.  However, The 10 minute procedure was kind of an amazing experience.  A catheter was inserted straight to my uterus and and the full bladder presses down on my uterus making it an easier insertion.  Once thats in place, the Dr. said, "NOw hold real still as we insert the embryos."  I didn't move a muscle- 30 seconds later he said the transfer went really well and the embryos went right in.  Woo HOO!  They wheeled me back into the room where  Russell was waiting with Dr. Lu.  I got one more treatment of Needles and then I was supposed to lie flat for 30 minutes.  Just an FYI, We are nearing 1 hour and 45 minutes with a full bladder.  Finally the sweet nurse came in and said the sweetest words, " YOU can use the bathroom!"  Relief followed and then I got wheeled to our car and had to lay back till I got home and then the next 2 days I was on bed rest. 
We're hoping that during my down time these babies implanted on my uterine wall and are enjoying a snuggley home for the next 9 months. 
Right after the procedure with our First Ultra Sound- you can see the long, white, catheter inside my uterus. 

We've appreciated the yummy meals, visits, warm wishes, good vibes, prayers and blessings we've received.  Keep them coming because now its just a waiting game to see if the embryos "stuck".  If you don't know this about me, I'm not the most patient person in the world.  So needless to say, this might be the most painful part of the whole process, waiting to find out- but luckily, after the bed rest, I've kept pretty busy and occupied so my thoughts are not left to wander :)  We appreciate everyone who has been following our story and keeping us in your thoughts! 

7 comments:

Jashley said...

It must be said that your legs look AMAZING in that picture! Love you and praying for more full-bladder fun (I hear that happens when you're "with child")!

Sue said...

I love your writing skills, thoroughly entertaining to read these posts! Yes, the wait seems torturous, but keep busy as much as possible, that will help. I cannot wait to hear!

Your Mom said...

This is so frickin exciting!!!! I love you like a fat kid loves cake.....macaroni loves cheese.....like....like.....Matilda loves the Beiber!!!

Kirsten said...

Praying for you! Hope all 6 take! Then you can be on TV and famous and all that! :) Love you Brie!

Amber Elizabeth said...

I know you know by now, i'm super excited to hear the news! Love you guys!

Harward said...

Hi Brie, Jasmine again, So glad things are going well for you!! Its such a small world! My grandma (Maxine) was telling me about you before I had even told her what we were doing. (We decided to keep in a secret while we were in the process.) She is amazing and is just so excited for the both of us! :) Its funny how little you get to meet people when your in the primary.
Anyhoo... I was wondering, I have a ton of extra estrace. I don't know if you were prescribed it, everyone's cases are different, but if you are in need of it, let me know, it could save you at least 60$ at the pharmacy. They kept me on it until my first prego ultrasound. you can email me directly at jasmineharward@hotmail.com.
Hugs :)
Jasmine

Dacia said...

Praying for you Brie!